Noise is mechanical vibration characterized by frequency (Hz), intensity (dB), tempo, and duration. Noise is a meaningless sound. It is a pollution factor that affects everyone. The audibility of babies will be less than adults, as their ear canal is small. As babies are more sensitive to noise, an earmuff will protect their ears from surrounding noise.
The best baby earmuff with noise-reducing features makes your baby feels comfortable. Earmuffs are safety gear for baby ears. As a parent, you must protect your babies from unwanted sounds that affect their tiny ears. Let us check the sources, impact, and the features to protect the baby’s ears from loud noise in this article.
Noise source for baby
Sounds are often too loud in places like
- Densely populated area
- School, hospital
- Elevators, fountains
- Sound making toys
- Rush hour traffic
- Construction and excavation of a road to fill a pit
Which babies are vulnerable?
- Premature, low birth weight babies
- Baby with hyperactivity, dyslexia
If the pregnant mother had to live and work in a noisy, constant environment, in the first 3 months of pregnancy, the fetus was at risk of malformations and hearing loss. It’s congenital, affecting weight gain in the womb.
The impact of noise
Direct influence: Ear damage, causes hearing loss, reduces the hearing threshold.
Indirect influence: Psychology, cognition, ability to learn, read, comprehend long-term memory, and focus attention.
A lot of high-intensity sounds can knock out the memory-protecting mechanisms. It causes permanent damage to the structure of the baby’s ears and sound systems. Repeated lingering noises also cause permanent damage.
Signs of hearing impairment
- Infants: Babies do not startle when hearing loud applause from a distance of 0.9-1.8m or no response to your voice.
- 8-12 months: Baby does not turn their head to the familiar sound or do not respond to the voice of loved ones.
- 1 and a half years old: Baby cannot use some single words like mother, father, and so on. Unable to distinguish parts when suggested.
- 2 years old: Baby cannot follow simple requirements without visual cues, actions, or repetitive phrases.
- 3 years old: Baby cannot navigate the source of the sound. Do not understand and cannot use words like walking.
- 4 years old: Baby cannot tell a few things they have done recently.
- 5 years old: Baby cannot make a simple conversation or sentences they use are very difficult to understand.
- School-age: Signs of hearing impairment at this age are by lack of concentration, neglect, frequent colds, or ear pain.
If your baby exhibits any of the above symptoms or does not exhibit age-appropriate behaviors, take your baby to the physician for early detection of instability.
What babies need?
The safe listening threshold depends on the noise, and the time they expose it to that noise. Baby other than adults do not know how to make this sound so loud, so noisy and annoying, they may just cry and fuss.
Less than 45 dB (small talk). Beyond this threshold is harmful.
Noises below 70 – 80 dB are safe. The level of 80 dB is about the level of a tinkling noise at a morning noodle shop in Hanoi or the sound of traffic on Thanh Thai street at 3 pm. The level of 60 dB (very safe) is the equivalent of near-private talk.
Unprotected exposure to sounds above 100 dB (train noise) is harmful, with short or long exposure times.
The following tips may help protect your baby’s hearing function in noisy environments.
Avoid letting your baby listen to prolonged commercials with lots of loud noises.
Babywear protective gear, earplugs, noise-canceling headphones for babies when going to places with noise (crowds, trains, airports, stages, discos, events music) and maximum exposure time, frequency of hearing noise – even at a slightly higher threshold. When subjected to constant loud noises such as drills or lawnmowers. In this case, the best baby earmuff with the noise-reducing feature will be more useful. As babies will get frightened by hearing loud noises these ear muffs help them by giving the audible sound for ears.
Make sure the sound environment (noise from heating or cooling systems, the hum of computers, and other appliances) around your baby’s school does not exceed the allowed limit.
Many houses and schools built near places with continuous loud sounds, such as busy intersections and train stations, will cause serious hearing impairment. Therefore, parents should follow these measures to get relieved from the outside noise.
- Sound insulation for walls.
- Handling sound reverberation on walls or ceilings.
- Windows and doors do not have many gaps.
- Ventilation and air-conditioning systems running smoothly.
Babies are more sensitive to noise than adults. This is because the baby’s ear canal is tiny when compared to adults. So even with inaudible sound, the pressure developed will be more for babies. Noise makes the baby uncomfortable. To overcome these for babies, various types of earmuffs ensure safety for ears. Choose the best baby ear muffs for your baby, which reduces the noise in the surroundings. These safeguard the ears of your growing baby. It ensures the audible sound, which doesn’t damage your baby ears from surrounding. Let’s have a noise-free environment for the health and safety of the growing kiddies.